To prevent escapes from jails and lock-ups
GOAL: Ensuring biometric registration of prisoners, controlling their movements and preventing substitutions
Background and objectives
In the early 2000s, there were a number of high-profile escapes from jails (life.ru, news.ru). Due to the physical resemblance with acquaintances or relatives, prisoners managed to be substituted during visits of lawyers or to court sessions in order to escape from detention. There were also some substitutions of prisoners for those who were about to be freed from imprisonment.
Biometric identification and verification of prisoners and visitors could help eliminate the human factor. The legal basis for that was provided in 1998 by Federal Law No.128 “On National Fingerprint Registration in the Russian Federation”. In 2010, Interdepartmental order No.688 “On the procedure for forming an information biometric array” was issued. Therefore, the Federal Penitentiary Service of Russia launched a project to create a biometric identification system for inmates.
- To equip jails and pre-trial detention centers (lock-ups) with software and hardware systems to implement compulsory electronic fingerprinting of employees and convicts
- To create a repository of high-quality electronic tenprint cards
- To eliminate the human factor in the identification and verification of prisoners by using biometric systems
- To digitize and automate the process of daily ‘head checks’ of inmates.
A modular system has been created that provides biometric registration of prisoners, control of their movements and substitutions, as well as that of jail staff.
In 2014-2017, 170 facilities of the Federal Penitentiary Service of Russia were equipped with a biometric identity recognition system specially designed for checkpoints, pre-trial investigation departments, police stations, canteens, workshops on protected objects of the penal enforcement system.
Produced and supplied:
- More than 10 Multifunctional Livescan Stations PAPILLON MDS-45 for complete (rolls, slaps, palms) finger and palm print enrollment of inmates and staff in lock-ups.
- Over 170 PAPILLON DS-30 scanners for fingerprint (rolls, slaps) enrollment of inmates and employees in lock-ups and colonies.
- Over 170 PAPILLON DS-22 scanners for identification of visitors, employees and convicts by fingerprints at checkpoints of lock-ups and colonies.
- Over 120 PAPILLON DS-21 scanners for monitoring convicts during transportation from detention centers or for investigative activities.
- 75 PAPILLON DS-70 access control terminals for self-control instead of ‘head checks’ of inmates on the territory of correctional colonies, as well as at canteens and workshops.
- 2 PAPILLON FK-4 access control terminal for identification of visitors, employees and convicts at checkpoints of lock-ups by face images.
- 6 Mobile biometric terminals DPP-6 for express identity checks when transporting suspects, accused and convicted persons in police vans outside lock-ups (to court sessions, investigative activities, release of inmates or transportation to correctional colonies).
- 170 PAPILLON AFIS systems have been deployed in jails and colonies for enrollment, accumulation and exchange of digital profiles of convicts, accused and suspects.
Block diagram of the solution
Calculate an analogous solution Order demo
Results and effect
The requirement of the National Standard of the Russian Federation for automatic biometric identification and formats for exchange of biometric data and compliance with Federal Law No.128 “On National Fingerprint Registration in the Russian Federation” has been fulfilled. An array of fingerprint information of more than 170 AFIS databases of the Federal Penitentiary Service of Russia for employees and convicts has been formed. At the moment, about 1.7 million electronic tenprint cards are stored on the servers and about 500 thousand – in archives.
With the help of biometric systems, the human factor is now excluded in 170 institutions of the Federal Penitentiary Service when identifying and verifying inmates:
- Convicts, visitors and staff when passing through checkpoints
- When transporting suspects, accused and convicts from investigation departments to lock-ups
- In special areas under control: workshops, canteens, hostels, visitation rooms.
An electronic log for registering suspects, accused and convicted persons when passing through investigation departments has been implemented.
The process of daily ‘head check’ in colonies has been digitized and automated. Reports are now available covering the number of suspects, accused and convicted persons in lock-ups.
Accounting of working hours of the staff in colonies and jails is provided. Now it is possible to control the presence of employees on duty and their substitution.
To date, together with Rostec (Concern Automatika), a test operation of the Biometric Access Control System integrated into the complex security system of the facility is being carried out in Corrective Labour Colony No.1 of the Vladimir GUFSIN.
The basis has been prepared for:
- Identifying culprits when solving crimes committed on the territory of colonies and lock-ups.
- Carrying out measures on preventing crimes by convicts on the territory of colonies and lock-ups.
- Assisting law enforcers in solving previously committed crimes
- Identifying and neutralizing bosses of organized criminal gangs
- Searching for evaders of correctional institutions, as well as fugitive prisoners
A technological base has been prepared for organizing communication channels between the Federal Penitentiary Service and the Russian Ministry of the Interior for transmission of electronic tenprints cards, taking into account the requirements for compatibility of the fingerprint arrays with the current system of operational records in law-enforcement agencies, set out in Interdepartmental Order No. 688 of September 27, 2010.
A technological base has been prepared for creating a single database of biometric digital profiles of convicts (finger and palm prints, face image, voice data), placed in the AKUS (automated record keeping system of inmates) of the Federal Penitentiary Service.
It has become possible to equip penal enforcement inspectorates with biometric terminals for electronic fingerprint enrollment and automation of control over convicts while on parole by means of biometric marks.
Calculate an analogous solution Order demo
- РИА Новости – В “Бутырке” представили новую систему распознавания личности заключенных
- ФСИН – В СИЗО-2 УФСИН России по г. Москве презентовали новую систему профилактики побегов из мест заключения
- МИР24 – Установить личность заключенного помогает «Папилон»
- РИАМО – В СИЗО Москвы будут распознавать арестантов при помощи отпечатков пальцев